Chocolate Chip Bars

I had a taste for some chocolate chip cookies so I made Ina Garten's version but turned them into bars.  I usually make these with regular sized chocolate chips, but this time I opted for the mini chips.
 
I made these a while back for a potluck at work and people really liked them.  These are my go-to chocolate chip cookie/bar recipe.  The cookies stay really soft which I love!  I think it has something to do with the amount of brown sugar.  Whatever the reason, they are delicious!
Finished product...enjoy with a glass of milk!
 
Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 bag chocolate chips (I used a 12oz bag of Nestle mini chips but I didn't use the whole bag....eyeball it and add as many chocolate chips, in whatever size, that you like)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and two sugars until light and fluffy using a stand mixer on medium speed.  Add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt together.  Add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and mix on low speed until combined (don't over mix!).  Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.

Dump the dough into a 9x13 inch baking dish and press down the dough to cover the bottom of the dish evenly.   Bake for  approximately 25 minutes. 
 

cookie dough prior to baking
 
 Done!
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts