French Potato Salad

My husband needed to take something to work for his holiday potluck and side dishes were needed.  My husband asked that I make this French potato salad which I made over the summer for a family cookout and everyone thought it was fabulous.  It’s a great, lighter alternative to regular mayonnaise-based potato salads (which my family and I love by the way, but my husband really dislikes mayo). 
 
Below is the recipe “as is”.  However, I don’t think the white wine and chicken stock are necessary (I don’t think I added either the first time I made the recipe…I did add them this time and couldn’t tell the difference).  Also, my white potatoes seem to fall apart more easily than the red, so next time I’ll just use 2 pounds of red potatoes.
 

 
1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
 
Ingredients
1 pound small white boiling potatoes
1 pound small red boiling potatoes
2 tablespoons good dry white wine
2 tablespoons chicken stock
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
10 tablespoons good olive oil
1/4 cup minced scallions (white and green parts)
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves

 Directions
Boil the potatoes in a large pot of boiling, salted water for 20-30 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes into halves or quarers, depending on the size of the potatoes and place in a bowl. Toss gently with the wine and chicken stock.  Set aside for about 10 minutes to let the potatoes absorb the liquids.  
 
To create the vinaigrette, mix the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the potatoes. Add the scallions, dill, parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature. 

Comments

Popular Posts