Creamy Lemon-Orange Gelato


I bought the Kitchenaid ice cream maker a month or so ago and decided that the 3-day weekend for labor day would be a good time to try out some recipes.  I decided on gelato instead of icecream for two reasons: 1) gelato is fabulous and makes me reminisce about Italy; and, 2) it's made with milk instead of cream so is better for the waistline  - usually I don't care about that, but I'm trying to fit into a dress for an upcoming wedding :)

Note: as soon as I purchased the ice cream attachment I washed it, dried it and put it in the freezer. 



Ingredients:
  • 2 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk
  • 4 (2 x 3⁄4-inch) strips orange peel
  • 4 (2x 3⁄4-inch) strips lemon peel
  • 6 coffee beans
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar


I didn't have coffee beans at home and forgot to buy them at the store :(

Directions:
  1. Scald milk with orange peel, lemon peel and coffee beans in heavy, medium saucepan. 
  2. Whisk yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk half of milk mixture into yolks. Return yolks to saucepan with remaining milk. Stir over low heat until mixture thickens slightly and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 8 minutes; do not boil. Strain into medium bowl. Refrigerate until well chilled. 
  3. Assemble and attach the KitchenAid® Ice Cream attachment to the KitchenAid® Stand Mixer. Turn to STIR Speed. Using a container with a spout, pour mixture into freeze bowl. Continue on STIR Speed for 15 to 20 minutes or until desired consistency. Transfer ice cream to airtight container and freeze several hours to allow flavors to ripen. Can be prepared up to 4 days ahead. If frozen solid, soften slightly in refrigerator about 20 minutes before serving.

Yield: 8 servings (1/2 cup (120mL) per serving)
Per serving: About 135 cal, 4 g pro, 21 g carb, 4 g total fat, 2 g sat fat, 133 mg chol, 30 mg sod

I used one orange and one lemon.

Scalding milk with the peels.

Eggs and sugar whisked together
I added a little of the scalded milk to the egg/sugar mixture...not quite half. 

I poured the egg/sugar/milk mixture into the pan with the remaining milk.  I removed the peels at this point but probably should have left them in for the remaining time.  I stirred for about 10 minutes to get the mixture thick.

Strained the mixture and let cool.  I let it sit on the counter for about an hour to get room temperature...I've heard glass can crack if it contains hot liquid and you put in a cold fridge.  After an hour, I put in fridge for about 2.5 hours.

After assembling the ice cream attachment (which was fairly easy), I poured the cool mixture in (must be while the machine is already on at STIR speed).

After about 20 minutes...consistency is much thicker

Removed the "dasher"
I poured into some tupperware and put in freezer.
The finished product!
 

Overall it wasn't too bad.  The gelato was a little "eggy" and not as much of the lemon and orange came through as I would have liked.  I definitely would leave the peels in longer.  As for the egginess, maybe it was just the recipe.  I thought 5 egg yolks sounded like a lot compared to some of the ice cream recipes in the Kitchenaid booklet. 


 

 

  

Comments

Popular Posts